Bronx, Brooklyn & West Babylon Wrongful Death Attorneys
Experienced representation for your wrongful death injury case
Wrongful death occurs when a person dies as a direct result of the negligence or misconduct of another person, company, or legal entity. In such a case, the immediate family members of the decedent may bring a legal wrongful death action against the negligent party or parties. Damages and compensation for these claims belong to the estate of the decedent and may be distributed according to the terms of the decedent's will or other rules that apply if they die without a will, as intestate.
Every state has its own set of wrongful death statutes that define the process for bringing a wrongful death action. If you believe your family has a legitimate wrongful death claim in the New York area, contact a personal injury lawyer today. For 30 years Edward R. Young and Associates has successfully recovered money for the families of deceased clients.
Types and causes of wrongful deaths
A wrongful death lawyer can examine the details of your case and inform you if you have a legitimate claim under New York wrongful death statutes. Generally, the following elements must be present in a viable wrongful death claim:
- A person has died
- The death was caused by negligence, or by intent to cause harm
- Surviving family members suffer monetary loss, financial hardship or due to the death
- A personal representative has been appointed for the estate of the decedent
Causes of wrongful death may be varied, but an injury attorney would be involved in wrongful death cases stemming from the following:
- Medical malpractice that results in death
- An automobile or other vehicle accident
- Job exposure to hazardous conditions
- Criminal activity
- Death during any supervised activity
How a bronx wrongful death attorney can help
If you have a valid wrongful death claim in the New York area, you should consult an experienced injury attorney as soon as possible. Wrongful death attorneys can help you:
- Gather the proper evidence to support your claim
- Fully understand the laws related to your claim
- Complete the required paperwork
- Build a convincing case against the negligent party
An experienced lawyer can also help alleviate the stress and pain you may be going through due to your loss.
Family members usually have one to three years from the time of death to file a wrongful death claim.
Wrongful death claim in Brooklyn, the Bronx & west babylon
If you have been injured in the boroughs of New York City and are considering filing a lawsuit, contact the law firm of Edward R. Young & Associates today or call 888.454.LAWS for an intial consultation.